FeckThat.com - Shoot the breeze  

Go Back   FeckThat.com - Shoot the breeze > Lounge > Forum Feedback

Unread 08-02-2007, 09:40
thread police officer
Welcome Team Memberadmin

Thanks for your input DHBH. Criticism is always welcomed, the reason we posted this here is to get some feedback on what we are doing.

Currently there are 11 public forums, which is just too much.
  1. Discuss Cork/Ireland
    1. What's wrong with Ireland
    2. Ireland, .ie
    3. Irish Education
    4. Cork, .ie
    5. Irish Sport
    6. Eurovision
    7. Restaurants, Food & Drink
    8. {media} Books | TV | Film | PC | Musik
    9. Humour & Jokes & Fun
  2. Support
    1. General Support
    2. I'm new here
One thing we need to do is make sure that the topic titles are a bit more accurate.
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:43
Are those my feet?
Welcome Team Member

Send a message via MSN to Faith Send a message via Skype™ to Faith

1. General Chat (incorporating anything and everything random, food & drink, humour and Testman's stuff)
2. Media (film, sport, books etc)
3. Feedback

That's my input. The fewer fora, the better.

(Ciaran - both "forums" and "fora" are correct.)
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:51
Are those my feet?
Welcome Team Member

I'm going to throw something else in here too, because there's no point in starting another thread, and it really annoys me. Please stop changing thread titles, Pablo. We are all capable of naming our own threads. I know that you're doing them so they look more clear, but it really, really irritates me. Like this thread was originally titled "Suggestion", which is somewhat ambiguous, but being in the Feedback forum, it's not that difficult to guess what it might be about. And Mairead's thread about the gardai was not necessarily her asking would we have called the police, so the thread title is now misleading.

In order to get guests to open threads, I think there should be some level of mystery to the thread title. If someone came here and saw a thread called "Suggestion", they might think "Ooh, I wonder what that's about", whereas when it's called "Forum Organisation Suggestion (Jan/Feb 2007)", they're more likely to think "Oh, I've no interest in that at all".

My opinion, anyway.
Unread 08-02-2007, 10:52
Bread, butter and whiskey
Welcome Team Memberadmin

Paul likes organising things! I agree though
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:25
thread police officer
Welcome Team Memberadmin

Thread titles are there for a reason, to give people an idea of what they can expect when the read it.

(from somewhere else I read, and adapted)
Good topic titles make the forum easier to browse and easier for information to be retrieved via the search function. Thus great care should be taken when choosing a title for a new forum topic. Let's suppose you're ill, are in need medical assistance, and have turned to feckthat for advice...

* example of a bad topic title: "HELP!!!"
* example of a good topic title: "I've a wart on my peepee and I wonder what should I do?"

A reader should be able to easily determine what the content of a topic is about simply by reading the title. Note how in the first example above the reader does not know what the post is about until after they click the title link and read the first post. In the second example, however, it is immediately clear what the subject of the posting is.

Titles should be Accurate and descriptive

Convention: Topic titles should be accurate and honestly descriptive of the content of the first post in the topic. It should be possible for every casual reader of the forum to immediately determine the exact nature of the post by reading the title and description alone, without reading the content of the post.

Rationale: Readers are short on time. They don't have the time nor the patience to wade through every post to determine whether they are interested in reading it. Readers prefer to quickly scan the list of topic titles, then use this information to pick the discussions they wish to read further.

Like this topic "Edit Button" , should be , "Can we extend the time for using the Edit Button ?" (in fact I will change that now)
Unread 08-02-2007, 14:48
Are those my feet?
Welcome Team Member

I completely understand where you're coming from, but it's patronising to edit people's posts without their permission. My thread entitled "Edit Button" is clear enough. It's in the Feedback forum, and the point of the thread is clear from the title, ie. I have an issue with the edit button. If I put my entire post in the thread title, there's no point in having any content in the post.

With regards to your example, if I'm browsing a forum and I see a thread entitled "Help!!", I'll stop and think "I wonder what that's about?", whereas if I see a thread entitled "I've a wart on my peepee and I wonder what should I do?", I'll immediately think, "A) gross!, and B) I know nothing about that. I'll move on without bothering to read the thread, and potentially get involved in a discussion."

Titles should be accurate, but not a long winded description of the entire first post. They're there to give the reader an idea of what's contained in the thread. They're supposed to be short, concise and to the point.

With regards to it helping the search function, that's inaccurate. The search functions searches for key words within a thread, not only the thread titles.

Finally, most readers are not short on time. I rarely log into a bulletin board if I don't have plenty of time to read threads, and reply to those that interest me. Most of the posters here at either at work with 8 hours to kill, or college students with countless hours to kill.
Unread 08-02-2007, 15:05
Welcome Team
Welcome Team Membersupporting member

i agree with faith again, it must sound like we are conspiring but that isnt the case.

point is on the one or to occasions that my own thread titles have been edited it was more to add something that i really didnt want added.
and if a thread is entitled help!!! then i'd be more inclined to look at it to see if indeed i could help.

maybe if you gave general posters the ability to change the title if they so wished, and even if it were suggested to them first before going ahead changing it.

i realise this a forum made and ran by yourself but there is no point having it as a public one if people can't say what they want (without slandering anybody), and that they feel they have ownership of their own threads which isnt the case when somebody comes along and changes the thread title on them.

and if the case is that you want people to know what the thread is about prior to reading then where does the following example fit in to practive what you preach
http://www.feckthat.com/rant/showthread.php?t=1858

Last edited by DHBH; 08-02-2007 at 15:09.. Reason: show example
Unread 08-02-2007, 15:08
Bread, butter and whiskey
Welcome Team Memberadmin

I agree [with everyone! ] no there's some great ideas here, very constructive
Unread 08-02-2007, 15:55
thread police officer
Welcome Team Memberadmin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHBH View Post
point is on the one or to occasions that my own thread titles have been edited it was more to add something that i really didnt want added.
if you are un happy with the edit you can always PM a mod or report the post.
Quote:
i realise this a forum made and ran by yourself but there is no point having it as a public one if people can't say what they want (without slandering anybody), and that they feel they have ownership of their own threads which isnt the case when somebody comes along and changes the thread title on them.
We aim to keep the modding to a min, but in accurate titles are one of my pet hates. Editing the content of your posts is not something we normally do, but sometimes better titles are necessary. Titles of pages are also picked up better by search engines, as opposed to the post content.
Quote:
and if the case is that you want people to know what the thread is about prior to reading then where does the following example fit in to practive what you preach
http://www.feckthat.com/rant/showthread.php?t=1858
nice example from 2003 there, but it is also in the humour section which I don't think needs as much moderation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faith View Post
I completely understand where you're coming from, but it's patronising to edit people's posts without their permission. My thread entitled "Edit Button" is clear enough. It's in the Feedback forum, and the point of the thread is clear from the title, ie. I have an issue with the edit button. If I put my entire post in the thread title, there's no point in having any content in the post.
I thought it was a bit vague, but it's something subjective I guess. I think the more info you put in the better
Quote:
With regards to your example, if I'm browsing a forum and I see a thread entitled "Help!!", I'll stop and think "I wonder what that's about?", whereas if I see a thread entitled "I've a wart on my peepee and I wonder what should I do?", I'll immediately think, "A) gross!, and B) I know nothing about that. I'll move on without bothering to read the thread, and potentially get involved in a discussion."
At least people will read the threads they want to, I don't want to trick people into reading threads or anything
Quote:
With regards to it helping the search function, that's inaccurate. The search functions searches for key words within a thread, not only the thread titles.
True, but there is also the option to search only titles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran View Post
I agree [with everyone! ] no there's some great ideas here, very constructive
Glad you are happy Ciarán !
Unread 08-02-2007, 17:04
thread police officer
Welcome Team Memberadmin

it's all moved now. I will send a quick email update to all members late this week.
Unread 08-02-2007, 19:19
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jack B. Badd

I have to agree with pablo on this one, vaguely named thread titles are a pain in the bum and I don't like the idea of using them to trick people into checking out a thread they would otherwise be uninterested in.
Unread 09-02-2007, 11:41
Welcome Team

damn but you are thorough pablo, place looks great, and dwarfy!
Unread 09-02-2007, 13:17
thread police officer
Welcome Team Memberadmin

Hopefully everyone got their lovely email from me. Let's see what happens !
Unread 09-02-2007, 13:18
Welcome Team

ohhh lovely eh? sounds ominous.
Unread 10-02-2007, 15:26
is happy!!
Friends

yup got the email twice!!
Unread 10-02-2007, 16:12
reindeer lover

Send a message via MSN to Lina

I didn't get one..
Unread 10-02-2007, 16:27
Are those my feet?
Welcome Team Member

Did it go into your Junk Mail? Mine did.

Or maybe orna got your one too!
Unread 10-02-2007, 17:56
is happy!!
Friends

no, normal mail...
Unread 10-02-2007, 18:43
thread police officer
Welcome Team Memberadmin

The email :
Quote:
hi there USERNAME,

Just a quick email to say that we have updated our forums a little, and there now just 4 instead of 11. So maybe you can pop by and check us out.

regards,
pablo & team

Thank Crunchy it's Friday !

-==== USER DETAILS
The User Details we have of yours

email address : USERNAME@eirjobs.com
username : USERNAME
profile page : http://www.feckthat.com/rant/member.php?u=1

You have received this email as you have opted to get email notices from our admin (ME !)

=== FORGOTTEN PASSWORD ? ==
To request your password please go to http://www.feckthat.com/rant/login.php?do=lostpw and enter your email address. And then you will be able to login, if you are having problems simply reply to this email address.

==== ANTI SPAM
As we all hate SPAM, to get your details removed from our database please reply to email with "DELETE ME" in the message body.
Unread 12-02-2007, 09:31
Welcome Team

i got it twice too